MILITARY SOURCE IN DC: “For the last week my battalion has been sleeping on the floor in the Senate cafeteria. Today the Senate kicked us out & moved us to a cold parking garage. 5000 soldiers. 1 power outlet. One bathroom. This is how Joe Biden’s America treats solders.”
* Capitol Police apologized late Thursday after it emerged they’d asked troops brought in to protect DC to leave the Capitol building and take their rest breaks in a nearby designated parking lot instead
* Photos showed up to 5,000 Guardsmen sleeping on the floor of the packed Thurgood Marshall Building parking lot and in a park outside as temperatures hit a low of 40 degrees
* The scenes sparked immediate outrage among lawmakers as some Guardsmen revealed they felt ‘incredibly betrayed’ given they had just spent more than a week helping to fortify and protect the capital
* Some Guardsmen said the parking lot they were relocated to had a single power outlet, no internet and just one bathroom with two stalls
* It has prompted the governors of some states, including New Hampshire and Florida, to order the immediate return of their Guardsmen from DC
* Footage showed the Guardsmen filing out of the parking lot overnight after they were permitted around midnight to return to the Capitol building in the wake of the fierce backlash
* Troops do have hotel rooms but their 12 hour shift pattern means they can’t easily return to their rooms during rest breaks. Before being located to the parking lot, the troops had been allowed to take breaks in the Capitol
* The troops will now take their breaks near the Emancipation Hall inside the Capitol building going forward
Thousands of National Guardsmen have now been allowed to return to the US Capitol after images of them sleeping outside and in a nearby parking garage overnight sparked outrage 24 hours after the inauguration.
Capitol Police apologized late on Thursday after it emerged they had asked the troops brought in to protect Washington DC to leave the Capitol building and take their rest breaks in a nearby designated parking lot instead.
Photos showed up to 5,000 Guardsmen sleeping on the floor of the packed Thurgood Marshall Building parking lot and in a park outside as temperatures hit a low of 40 degrees.
Update #2: President Trump has offered his hotel rooms to these soldiers.
More News On 5,000 National Guard Soldiers Being Forced To Take Their Breaks In The Parking Lot